Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Nostalgia

       Christmas, Christmas time is near. Time for toys and time for cheer.We've been good, but we can't last. Hurry Christmas, hurry fast . -Alvin and the Chipmunks

        I wish I could sing this now but I don't think it'll still be appropriate for my age. Although it suites well with the way i think. hahahahah!         

        Every Christmas Eve, our family and relatives gather and celebrate Christmas as one at our Grandparents house. But this Christmas was different. Our house is currently under construction so we couldn't leave it behind and had to spend it at home instead. My mother had no time to by groceries so we prepared food enough for ourselves.


             At around 7:30pm that day, I, together with my mother and brother, decided to go to church. I wasn't really interested to go but then again, WHY NOT? It's way better than staying at home and just surfing the internet for random stuff. And so we came seeing the chapel almost full. We immediately scouted for vacant seats which ended up with me sitting at the end and them at the front. The priest was running late so I grew very uncomfortable. (Forgive me for my impatience and lack of good spirituality) 

              As soon as the priest arrived, the entrance hymn was sung by the church choir. A familiar song I once sang before. "O come all ye faithful" was the song. I closed my eyes and saw myself back when i was around 9-11 years old. I sang this song at our school. Oh the memories. And so, a pump of energy ran in my veins. 

               Catholics should know about this: songs sang during the mass like, Glory to God in the Highest, and or Ama Namin (Our Father).. Well, when i was in elementary, i used to be part of the school choir and we usually sang songs during the mass. It was only till then for i transferred to a non-catholic school in high school. Anyway, i don't usually sing during the mass, especially nowadays where new songs are sang. But that day was different. They sang songs that was familiar to me. The songs I used to sing when I was a child. AHHHH the memories just keeps on building up. 

             As the mass ended the song sang by the choir was "Angels We Have Heard on High". And yes, it brought back memories along with it. I remember my last year in high school where our choir group sang this in a choir competition at Gaisano Mall Davao. How i missed those days of just being with your friends and singing such songs.

             As soon as we got home, we ate dinner, cleaned up and they all went to bed. As for me, i still waited for the clock to strike at 12am and to greet the world a MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS. I even hugged myself for who else would when they're asleep. This may not be the best Christmas but then again, i should be thankful for having a home and a family. I am also thankful for that day brought back memories I have left behind. 

           The best part is when i start to ask myself where such voice is now? I used to be a soprano but now I could barely sing in a right tone. OH WELL. At least I know for a fact that I used to be a child who knew how to sing and even had that dream of singing in front of a huge crowd.. I am not that old so.. maybe i will.. someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment